Funky Buddha Brewery – Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, Saturday, April 15, 2017, 11am
2016 Barrels: 50,000 (estimate) Classification: Regional Taps: 24
Funky Buddha Brewery has long been on my list, ever since someone gave a sublime description of their Peanut Butter Jelly beer. “No Crusts” was not available on my visit, but the rest of their line-up exceeded expectations.
Their original location is a lounge/music venue/hookah bar with food. And craft beer. It’s certainly a unique set-up, and arriving just after midnight on a Friday when there was a show with a $7 cover, I got to see the full set-up. Much to my surprise, despite the large crowd enjoying the loud, live music, the bar was still happy to pour a flight of anything I wanted.
The creativity and quality of their beer is very impressive. They still only distribute within Florida, but their bottles made their way across the country, and to the top of RateBeer’s list, specifically their Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, which is now released to great fanfare with a festival each January.
Their newer location is a full-scale production brewery, with a very large bar, also serving food. I happened to be in town during their annual release of the Imperial version of their Maple Bacon Coffee Porter – Wide Awake, It’s Morning – which is also on BeerAdvocate’s Top 250 list. The barrel aged version – Morning Wood – is currently #24. At 9:30am, there were around 50 people in line for the bottle purchase; it was also available on tap in the bar.
I took the tour, which was an enjoyable cruise through the facility with samples along the way.
- Berry Patch Berliner 4.1% very sharp tartness, nice berries
- Strawberry Rhubarb Berliner 4.3% also very sharp tartness, great bright strawberry
- Lemon Meringue 5% impressive, exact flavor, sour then sweet
- Raspberry Berliner Weiss 5% very light tart, big raspberry
- Zingerbeer pale with ginger 5.1% ginger with lime, great, clean
- Millions of Peaches pale 5.5% great floral peach aroma, milder peach flavor
- Vanilla OP Porter 6.3% vanilla extract flavor
- Last Snow coconut coffee Porter 6.4% wow, nailed it, on both, more coconut then coffee
- Pina Colada Wheat 6.9% impressive, exact
- More Moro blood orange IPA 7% kinda subtle in the finish, lingers, more up front second taste
- Atlantic Giant Belgo-Pumpkin Ale 7% great earthy, pumpkin flavor
- Willy May’s Haze cask with pineapple vanilla and hops 7% great pineapple, some complexity, mostly pineapple, vanilla second time
- Muy Bonita double brown with apples, cinnamon and vanilla 8.8% nailed it, has all flavors but light
- Hop Stimulator IIPA 9.5% floral, tasty, strong, bitter, grassy
- Wide Awake, It’s Morning imperial maple bacon coffee porter 10% wow, big maple sweetness, no bacon, some strong coffee notes