Fairhope Brewing Co – Fairhope, Alabama, Thursday, April 20, 2017, 5pm
2014 Barrels: 700 Classification: Micro Taps: 13
Fairhope is a quality, friendly brewery/tap room that would fit in any major brewery city.
In a state with 37 breweries, I half expected to be the only customer in attendance on a Thursday afternoon. Instead, the parking lot had overflowed to a grass lawn across the street, and inside I found dozens of people enjoying live bluegrass music.
The brewery – open since Jan 2013 – has a great website, lovely bar with view into the production space, and impressive tap list. Service was excellent, with a good dose of Southern hospitality. It’s my first official Alabama brewery, and if they’re all like this, I can’t wait to visit more.
- Gratzer smoked wheat 3.9% mild smoke, agreeable
- Tarts & Crafts tart cherry wheat 4.5% mild, slight cinnamon/cherry
- Judge Roy Bean coffee stout 5.1% kinda perfect, dry/light
- Stinger sour with blackberry and sumac 5.4% more acidic sour, light fruit
- Take the Causeway IPA 8.2% pine aroma, strong, dry, bitter